Monday, October 6, 2008

seriously, make me stop laughing

In searching for Georgette Heyer eBooks to download (for a paper on masks and masking in popular romance fiction), I ran across the eHarlequin.com bestseller list. Witness:

Top 10 Bestsellers:

1.Sicilian Husband, Unexpected Baby

2.The Prince's Arranged Bride

3.Ruthlessly Bedded by the Italian Billionaire

4.Hired: The Italian's Convenient Mistress

5.Claimed for the Italian's Revenge

6.The Sheikh's Wayward Wife

7.The Mediterranean Prince’s Captive Virgin

8.Pregnant on the Upper East Side?

9.The Spanish Billionaire's Christmas Bride

10.Public Scandal, Private Mistress

I cannot stop laughing. I especially enjoy the question mark on #8, as well as the fact that Italians are the lovers of choice. I think if you combined it all into one, you'd get an arranged marriage to a Mediterranean billionaire prince who, having never seen his betrothed before, mistakes her for a courtesan and abducts her--on Christmas! After he [ruthlessly!] beds and impregnates her, this captive [former] virgin runs--waywardly--away to the Upper East Side? [Then they live happily ever after, etc etc etc ad nauseam.]
Really, just how many adjectives do you need for one title? Especially when the cover pretty much says it all (i.e., SEX).

1 comment:

Rex Parker said...

You gotta love a man who not only knows how to make a miniskirt out of satin bedsheets, but also has the balls to wear it.

rp